« Home | The Tell-Tale Farce » | What really burns my ass » | Random Thought Whenever » | Toilet or not Toilet? That is the Question. » | Countdown » | Pregnancy dreams, retail therapy » | Why giving out progress reports is a drag: One te... » | Bedroom Shuffle, Expensive Things Come in Threes, ... » | Turnover. And I don't mean fruit. » | Stupid Cats and Salesmen » 

Sunday, May 04, 2008 

Random Thought Whenever

My parents got here yesterday afternoon and stayed until this afternoon. Mom and I planted some tomato plants. I hope they produce lots of tomatos so I don't have to buy the ones at the grocery store, which have never tasted quite right to me.

I cried-- really, really cried when Eight Belles went down in the Kentucky Derby. Not that I had any particular connection to any horse or anything to do with the event, but I was just watching the coverage of it all morning and most of the afternoon while we waited for my folks to arrive, and for whatever reason I just liked that one because she was the prettiest to me. Her trainer was calling her "sweetheart" and she just seemed special. It kills me that she (or any horse)could be running in (and damn near winning) the Kentucky Derby one second and lying stone cold dead on the track the next, and they have no explanation for why or how both of her front ankles splintered like toothpicks. Just...damn.

Our furniture-- all of it-- is finally here and set up properly. They took the box springs and replaced them with the low profile ones, which lowered the bed four inches. Four inches is a long way, or at least it feels like it. It made a big difference. I can get out of bed now without having to drop half a foot before my feet hit the floor, and I don't feel like I'm going to hit my head on the ceiling fan if I sit up suddenly.

The summer trip is almost planned. I think we've finally agreed on a hotel. I'm just sick of looking at hotels and weighing the pros and cons of each one like we know jack squat about them. It's exhausting. Just pick a damn hotel already.

I got a doppler thingy to listen to the baby's heartbeat, and I can't hear shit with it. I'm doing it the right way and I know where they've been finding it at the doctor's office, but when I do it at home it just makes my stomach hurt from pressing down and irritates the hell out of me that it isn't any easier to find the heartbeat. If I can't find it in the next month or so, I'm sending the stupid thing back before they charge me any more money.

The baby doesn't like strawberry shortcake. At all. Pickles, on the other hand, are a welcome treat.

I haven't written any lesson plans for this week. I'll just have to go in without them in the morning and write them during my off period. Who knows if they'll even notice at this late stage of the game.

Fifteen days of school left. Subtract 3 for state testing, 2 for 9 weeks testing, 1 for the final regular test, May Day next Friday, and the half a day for the last day of school, and there are actually 7.5 real days left. We gotta pack up sometime, so I'm thinking there might be 5 days of actual work remaining. That is assuming you don't consider testing work. It's still work, but walking around a room for 4 hours while kids fall asleep during the test is an agonizing task, but still slightly less nerve-racking than trying to get them to behave and focus as hyper as they are lately. Come on, May 23.

I hope you remembered to plant marigolds with your tomatoes, otherwise you won't be getting jack shit for edible fruit from those things. (Marigolds repel insects that eat tomatoes, natch)

Yes, I did. My mom's idea.

I think one of the cats is shitting in the whiskey barrel where I planted this stuff though. I gotta go get something to wrap around it and protect it. Maybe some of that stuff that's supposed to keep birds out would work.

I can't wait to have delicious tomatoes. MMmmmmm! How long does it take? When can I make a tomato sandwich!?? ARE WE THERE YET!?

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health