« Home | The Frazzled Nurse and The Chair of Death » | Double Yolker » | Kids » | On a more positive note » | Bad things about pregnancy, bad things about bad p... » | Why it's hard to believe » | Random Thought Whenever » | The Tell-Tale Farce » | What really burns my ass » | Random Thought Whenever » 

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 

Why does the medical community hate me?

Today I ended up in the ER after some cramping and bleeding. I spent most of the time just lying there, but they finally came in and started with their torture devices.

I had a CATHETER, y'all.

That just....wow. Doesn't get much more uncomfortable than that. Having it put in was bad, but having it be in was worse. Nothing quite compares to feeling like you are about to piss yourself, but not really needing to or being able to do anything to relieve that feeling.

They did an ultrasound, which should have been a great event, but wasn't. The crap on t.v. where the husband is at the wife's side, holding her hand, and the ultrasound technician is lovingly pointing out the different parts of the baby while the couple ooooohs and ahhhhhhs? Yeah that's not what this one was like at all.

They wouldn't let Tim go back there with me. When I got back there, the first thing she did was fill my bladder up with cold water. YAY. Then she started the ultrasound and I asked her if she could see the baby. I couldn't see the screen at all. She said she could, and I said, "Tell me if you see any sex organs." She said, "I can't tell you anything. I don't even look for sex organs." Hmf. So it's gonna be like that, huh? Fine. A few minutes later I leaned over a little to try to sneak a peek at the screen. She turned it away from me and said, "I can't show you anything."

Bitch. I almost started crying. I'm already fragile. I'm tired, I'm scared, I've got a tube in my pisser, and the ice queen won't let me sneak a peek at Little Wendol, who might be in grave danger? What gives?

The ultrasound-- if that's even what they really did -- lasted about 15 minutes, then ice queen wheeled me back to my room, where Tim was waiting. By this point the catheter was really starting to bother me. The ice queen said the nurse was coming in to take it out right away, but she didn't. I had to deal with it for another 20 minutes, but it seemed like longer. I'm not sure which sucked worse-- having it put in, or having it taken out. Both hurt. I was just glad when that was over.

The doc came in and shined a light into my nether regions and said my junk looks good. (Of course it does.) Then he said the ultrasound looked normal-- I'm measuring about 16 weeks, which is just a few days ahead of where I thought I was. Little Wendol has a strong heartbeat and seems to be doing well in there. There's no explanation for the little bit of spotting I had, but I'm just supposed to take it easy for a week.

Oh, and I'm not supposed to worry about it. Right. I keep telling myself this happens to people all the time and things work out. Still. Nothing puts a cold feeling in a pregnant woman's stomach like the sight of blood in the bathroom.

Labels: ,

That bitch needs to find a profession that would better utilize her special talents - like becoming a switch-puller in an execution room.

I'm sure little Wendol is fine.

They won't let you see in case the baby has died. Then they keep you waiting and tell you that, of course, you knew all along that something horrible had happened.

BTDT.

SO glad that little Wendol is ok and growing strong.

DY, I hear ya.

Ellie, I don't think I'd be able to tell one way or another. To me, ultrasound images all look like...well, nothing. I swear, I can never see a thing. I just thought maybe I could make out a head or the shape of a baby. Last time I saw it, it was at 6 weeks pregnant, so what I saw looked like a worm. I thought it'd be cool to see how things have changed.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health