« Home | On a more positive note » | Bad things about pregnancy, bad things about bad p... » | Why it's hard to believe » | Random Thought Whenever » | The Tell-Tale Farce » | What really burns my ass » | Random Thought Whenever » | Toilet or not Toilet? That is the Question. » | Countdown » | Pregnancy dreams, retail therapy » 

Thursday, May 08, 2008 

Kids

I just watched this movie, and while it was definitely an hour-long advertisement for midwives, it did contain some useful information. I'm sure the info is accurate and not twisted to suit the message of the film because I've heard most of the same stats many times before. It's nice to be reminded that there's only one other developed country with an maternal mortality rate as high as ours. They didn't say which one, but I'm betting it's China.

Tonight there was an awards ceremony for the 8th graders. I gave out 2 awards-- one for 7th grade English, and one for 8th grade English. The 7th grader got his award Tuesday.

The 8th graders received invitations to the ceremony, which let them know they had been given an award, but they did not know what the award was for. Several of my students have been giving me knowing looks, believing that I gave them the English award. Today one cornered me outside the restroom and begged me to spill the beans. I honestly didn't know what her award was for; it didn't come from me. So this afternoon when I was having that internal struggle with myself about whether I was actually going to get up, get dressed again, and return to the school for the ceremony, I decided it would be worth it to see her get the big surprise. I also wanted to see the student who did get the English award.

When I arrived, I sat next to the one and only teacher I could spot. She leaned over and said that we were the only two teachers who showed up. I thought she had to be wrong, and I scanned the room. Nope. No other teachers. Hard to believe. Anyway, it turned out that the girl's mystery award was for Reading Fair, and the girl I gave the English award wasn't even there. Her name was called for probably half a dozen awards, so I was surprised she didn't come. Some parents...well, some have work schedules that won't allow them to attend many things. Others don't give a damn. I tend to automatically think they don't give a damn, but it's possible that she just couldn't attend. That's a damn good reason to have two parents in a household, isn't it? At least one can almost always be there for the kids. My dad missed most of my important events because of his job, but Mom was there. And of course if Dad hadn't been working, Mom couldn't have been there.

I would like to take this totally random opportunity to:

1. remind you all that Obama has no experience. None.
2. tell you that I am craving salt and vinegar potato chips.

I'd better go to bed before I eat something, or, God forbid, start pulling for Hillary.

I agree 100% on both Obama and the salt & vinegar chips.

Have you tried the dill pickle chips? The Pony and I both favor them.

I volunteer to pull your portion of Hillary's weight, so you don't have to own up to it and take the heat.

I had dill pickle chips once and didn't like them. But I didn't like salt and vinegar chips until recently, so maybe I should give the dill pickle another try. I've definitely got a taste for real dill pickles. I went through one of those giant jars of giant pickles in about a week.

Poor Hillary planned for this campaign half her life, and is about to get beat by an upstart out of nowhere. I'd rather see her win than him, but it looks like she's about done.

I dunno Meanie... these young political insiders seem to think Barry's the man for the job. Just listen to their well thought-out arguments and show me where they're wrong.

Oh, but he's so pretty.............

And he has such a great relationship with his "spiritual advisor."

God help us.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health