« Home | Nice to Unmeet You » | Now, about that special ed kid... » 

Sunday, April 29, 2007 

Writing for a Purpose

I'm having trouble coming up with a good blog topic today, because the only thing I can think about is how much better I feel now that I seem to be recovering from whatever bug I've had for the last three days, and I finally got the monthly "you're not pregnant" memo-- a delay that was making me more nervous by the hour. I'm guessing people don't particularly care to hear the details of my illness or my tardy female processes, which were probably related.

Anyway.

The only other thing on my mind right now is this site. The old site chronicled a journey. It started when I was at a rock bottom place in my life, otherwise known as my parents' basement, and it covered everything that happened to me from then, to my first teaching job, to getting married and moving, etc. It covered a key period of my life. That is part of the reason that I was so hesitant to take the site down, and it's part of the reason I'm still not sure this one is needed. I like writing, but not much is happening these days, really. No make or break moments. Nothing that will stand out in ten years.

When I was in college, I took several creative writing classes, one of which was a poetry workshop. Once, in a crunch, I wrote a poem about the difficulty of producing poetry on a deadline. Write what you know, right? Well, the professor slammed it, and insulted me in front of the class, saying that writing about writing was pathetic, more or less, and that if I had nothing more to say there was no point in writing at all. She was kind of a bitch, but she liked 90% of everything else I wrote, and I did get an A in the class. Anyway, blogging about blogging is probably equally pointless.

Speaking of writing on a deadline, I have to write a 20 page paper on the history of education in America, which is due in five days, and which I have not started. Also, it has to be cited in APA style. I only used APA once, when I first started college as a psych major. I got F's on all my papers because I couldn't get the damn APA correct. I spent hours comparing my paper to the manual, but never got it right. I would have an A on the content, but after they got done taking points off for screwed up citation, I would fail. MLA makes so much more sense.

I'd better get started. I've got hours of procrastination ahead of me.

Well, I have been attending human resource training sessions for my job and I have to write an assessment of my company's personnel policies (or lack thereof) and tell what's good about what we have, what's bad, and what the risks are of not having good policies, or of not following the ones we do have. It doesn't help matters that my boss doesn't WANT to have written policies because some lawyer advised him once that the less that is written down, the better. I've got to turn it in by May 20, which means I have a couple of WEEKS of procrastination ahead and haven't a clue what I'm going to say. Now, I majored in English and I can bullshit with the best of them, but just can't seem to get motivated to do this. Guess it doesn't help that I will have to do this pretty much on my own time, because we stay too busy at the office to do it there.

I think if you have to come up with a pile of bullshit, the least they could do is pay you for it.

I heard this thing wasn't letting people comment.

Only because they don't know how to use "The New Blogger" account crap...

MORE CAT PICTURES!

I had to use APA on the earlier classes when I was going after my BS in IT. Now, how exactly is that going to affect me in any way, shape or form when I'm programming?

They had a great little book, The Little Purple Book (yeah, I know), though, that was written for non-writers like me. If it weren't so close to deadline I'd hunt it down & forward it to you; I certainly don't use it any longer!

I just wrapped up a two-month long procrastination over a 10 page paper on Marketing to Iceland, (complete with accompanying 30 minute presentation) My sole effort at citation was poking around the internet for an hour the night before I turned it in, and faking sources that could have possibly been used to write the paper.

I couldn't tell you APA from MLA... or NWA, or PBA. It didn't seem to hurt my 92% though.

Word Verification: biofq - "Bio-Fu*k" The archaic practice of concieving live children, as depicted in several low-budget Sci-Fi movies.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Mommy Needs a Xanax
  • From South, Mississippi, United States
  • I'm the mom of two great boys, and humor is my drug of choice.
My profile

Web This Blog

My Homies

CHAT


Previous posts

Links

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health